I am a big fan of stuffed bread. Until a few years ago, whenever I went to a bakery I wanted to try all the exotic-looking pieces of bread in one go. However, the health enthusiast in me restrained me. Now as I bake my own bread, there is no caution. I can bake those interesting bread loaves myself. And the best part of baking a stuffed bread at home is that you can eat your bread as soon as it comes out of the oven. The freshness and aroma are beyond words. So whenever my family wants me to bake something special, I go for stuffed bread. This braided bread is stuffed with soya granules and peas. It was a super hit as everyone found the braid so inviting.
Whole Grain Stuffed Braided Bread
- 2.5 cups Whole-wheat flour
- 1.25 tsp Instant dry yeast
- 2 tsp Jaggery powder
- 1.25 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Milk powder
- 125 ml Warm milk
- 75-100 ml Warm water
- 2-3 tbsp Any neutral oil or butter
- 2 tbsp Milk for milk wash
- 1 tbsp Butter
For the stuffing
- 1 cup Soya granules
- 1/2 cup Boiled peas
- 1 big Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper
- 1 tsp Pizza spices ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Chopped coriander
For the bread
- Take warm milk in a bowl and add jaggery powder. Mix yeast and keep it aside to froth. You can skip this step if you are using instant yeast and can add it directly to the dough. I prefer to proof the yeast every time.
- In another big bowl, mix wheat flour with milk powder and salt.
- Add yeast solution and make a dough by adding water gradually. Smear the dough with oil.
- Now transfer the dough on the kitchen counter and knead gently for 10-12 minutes.
- Keep it to rest in an oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel. The first rise will take 60 to 90 minutes depending upon the temperature.
- Punch the dough to release the gases and divide it into three parts.
- Flatten each part into a square with the help of a rolling pin and keep the filling in the centre.
- Cut the two sides into strips with the help of a pizza cutter or a sharp knife. Then starting from the top fold them alternately over the filling.
- Keep it covered for 20 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven at 180 C for 10 minutes.
- Brush the braid with milk and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is brown in colour.
- Apply butter and serve with sauce or soup of your choice.
For the stuffing
- Soak soya granule in hot water for five minutes and allow them to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Add onions and saute for a while.
- Mix in ginger garlic paste and saute again. Add tomato puree and all the spices. Cook until the oil separates.
- In the end, add peas and boiled granules.
- Mix lemon juice and chopped coriander. Allow the stuffing to cool.