Bread baking is my way to unwind. I try to bake one bread every week. Cookies and cakes are baked when I want to please my daughter. She loves cocoa and chocolate and you will find a number of recipes with cocoa and chocolate on my blog. The third member changes his preference according to his mood. So I have to ask what should I bake for him.
These healthy buns I had baked as I was craving for burgers. Once you start eating homemade bread, It’s very difficult to go for readymade stuff. So I had baked these burger buns with whole wheat flour and semolina. I like semolina as it gives an excellent rise to my bread. Try replacing some of the wheat flour with semolina. It also gives a nutty flavour and crunch to the bread.
Whole Grain Burger Buns.
- 2 cups Whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup Fine semolina or chirroti rava
- 2 tsp Instant dry yeast
- 2 tsp Brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Warm milk
- 3/4 cup Warm water
- 1/4 cup Any neutral oil or butter
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 tbsp Milk for milk wash
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Take warm milk in a bowl and mix in sugar. Now add yeast and keep it aside for 10 minutes to bloom.
- In another bowl, take wheat flour, semolina and salt. Give it a good mix.
- Add bloomed yeast to the flour mix and make a dough by adding water gradually. The water requirement may be different depending upon the quality of wheat flour. If the dough appears dry after you have added all the water given in the recipe, don't hesitate to add some more. Bring the dough together. The dough will be loose and sticky.
- Smear the dough with butter or oil and transfer it to the counter to knead. Knead it for 10-12 minutes until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Keep the dough for the first rise in an oiled bowl. Cover it with a kitchen towel. The first rise takes anytime between 60 minutes to 90 minutes depending upon the temperature in the kitchen. Wait until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch the dough to release the gases. Divide it into 10 pieces.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Shape each piece like a ball and place at a distance of about 2" in the baking tray.
- Cover it with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for a second rise which took about half an hour.
- Preheat the oven at 190 C for 10 minutes.
- Brush the buns with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds on the top.
- Bake at 190 C for 25-30 minutes or until the buns have a beautiful golden colour on the top.
- Apply butter on the buns. Cool them on the wire rack and make a sandwich of your choice.