I bake with cocoa often. This time I wanted to add melted chocolate to my cookies. These are a cross between cookies and brownies. Wanted the cookies to be super healthy so have used almond meal and jaggery. First time when I baked, the cookies were chewy.
The second time I didn’t refrigerate the dough so the cookies were flat and crisp. We like our cookies to be crisp. This has become a habit now.
These brookies are baked with almond meal and whole wheat flour. Almond meal is made by grinding the almonds with the skin. You can do it at home. Powder the jaggery nicely before mixing it with butter.
Almond meal brookies
- 1/2 cup Almond meal
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Powdered jaggery
- 100 g Dark chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
- Cut the chocolate in small pieces and melt in a double boiler or microwave.
- Cream butter and jaggery until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- In another bowl, mix almond meal, wheat flour and baking powder. Give it a good mix.
- Add flour mix to butter jaggery mix. Pour in melted chocolate. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Bring the dough together gently using a spatula. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 170 C.
- Scoop out the cookies using icecream scoop and place them in a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake them for 15-18 minutes.
- Take them out and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.