Sourdough is fun. You mix flour and water. And then you mix some more flour and water.And then you wait until the rise and fall of this mixture become predictable.
Does that sound interesting to you?
Sourdough bread however needs practice. The more you practice,the better it becomes.
For a great sourdough bread, you must have an active strong starter. The starter takes about 8-9 days to become active.
Sourdough bread is very nutritious and healthy. This is one popular recipe which I have baked with sourdough starter. I am making a new starter as last month when I had shifted to a new house, the earlier one got spoiled.
In this recipe I have used fresh active discard.
Sourdough Zingy Parcel
- 1/2 cup Wheat flour
- 1.5 cup Semolina
- 1/2 cup Fresh sourdough discard/ starter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar(optional)
- 1 tbsp Oil (optional)
- Water to make the dough
For the stuffing
- 150 g Cottage cheese/paneer
- 1 large Onion
- 1/2 Yellow capsicum
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Chopped coriander
- 3 tbsp Carrot cucumber mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Grated mozzarella cheese
- Take semolina and wheat flour. Add enough water to make a dough. Keep it to rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix active sourdough starter/ fresh discard with the dough. Add sugar if you want to add it. I haven’t and mix everything nicely. Rest for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and oil. Knead the dough.
- Keep it to rest at room temperature for 4-5hours.You can stretch and fold the dough 3-4 times during the bulk fermentation.This helps to strengthen the dough.
- The dough increase in size and will have bubbles on the top when ready.
- You can use it for making the parcels or you can keep it in refrigerator for retarded fermentation and use it the next day.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts. Roll each part with the rolling pin.
- Fold it as shown in the picture.
- Place mayonnaise at the centre and on the top of it keep the stuffing.
- Apply water on the edges and fold them. Place them in a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Rest the parcels for an hour or until they are visibly grown in size.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C for 10 minutes.
- Brush the parcels with milk and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Apply butter on the hot parcels and serve with the soup of choice.
For the stuffing
- In a pan, heat one tbsp of oil and add cumin seeds.
- Add onions and sauté then, Add chopped capsicum and sauté again.
- Add the rest of the spices and cook the mixture.
- Add cottage cheese and cook until it’s all coated with spices.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves and allow it to cool.
- You can use the dough after bulk fermentation or you can keep the dough for retarded fermentation in the refrigerator.
- Apply water on the edges before folding the parcels otherwise they may not stick and the parcel may open during baking.