When strawberries are in season, what do you do with them? I bake a cake or make a strawberry compote. This vibrant red fruit is available only in winters. I mostly like it because of its colour. Strawberries however add nutrients too. These are a good source of vitamin C and dietary fibre.
Long ago I tried a whole grain cake with puréed strawberries. But we like it more when strawberries are used in the garnish and added as chunks to the cake batter.
This time I baked the cake for my husband’s birthday who is fond of tea cakes without cocoa powder. The other prominent member of the team however, loves everything with chocolate or cocoa. So we are constantly moving between with chocolate and without it:). Fortunately they accommodate each other and I am saved.
For this cake , I have used wheat flour and jowar flour. Adding millet increases the nutritive value of any bake.
Cut some strawberries in half and chop 4-5 to smaller pieces. These small pieces can be added to the batter after dusting them with some wheat flour.
- 3/4 cup Wheat flour
- 1/3 cup Sorghum or jowar flour
- 3/4 cup Raw mineral sugar
- 1/3 cup Butter at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 12-15 Strawberries, 4-5 chopped finely and the rest just halved.
- Sieve the flours, baking powder and baking soda 3-4 times.
- Grease a 6” cake tin with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 C.
- In a big bowl,cream butter and sugar. I used an electric whisk.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Whisk again.
- Now add flour alternating with milk.Use a spatula to mix it.
- Sprinkle some flour on the finely chopped strawberries if you want to add them to cake batter. Mix them nicely
- Pour the cake batter to the prepared tin and tap it gently on the counter.
- Garnish it with sliced strawberries.
- Bake at 180 c for 35 -40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the tin for 5 minutes and take out the cake.
- Cool on a wire rack and cut.