I have been baking a number of bread loaves of late. And I am loving it. Bread baking is close to my heart and is a great mood uplifter. Baked these cookies as the cookie boxes were empty and I wanted to try something new. Searched the pantry and came across moong dal flour.
Decided to bake dal rice cookies as I had red rice flour too. Red rice is red due to the coloured pigment anthocyanin which has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s rich in fibre and is nutritionally better than brown and white rice.
Moong dal flour can be made at home too. You just have to dry roast the yellow moong dal for a few minutes. Grind it in a mixer grinder to make a fine powder as it cools down. Jaggery powder can be used in place of khandsari sugar. I used khandsari sugar as I was running out of jaggery powder. If your jaggery powder has bigger granules, make sure you grind it before creaming it with ghee.
These cookies can be called dal chawal cookies or dal roti chawal cookies as I have added wheat flour too. There is something extremely adorable about this combination. Isn’t it:)
Moong dal cookies
- 1/2 cup Yellow moong dal flour
- 3 tbsp Red rice flour
- 3 tbsp Wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Ghee or clarified butter
- 1/3 cup Powdered khandsari sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1-2 tsp Milk (optional)
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin seeds or any seeds of your choice
- In a big bowl, sieve moong dal flour, rice flour and wheat flour. Add cardamom powder and mix it thoroughly.
- Cream ghee and powdered sugar in a big bowl till its fluffy and white. This is an important step.
- Now mix the flours to ghee sugar mix. Bring the dough together. You can add 1-2 tsp of milk to make it smooth.
- Cling wrap the dough and refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven at 160 C for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the cookies and place them at a distance on the tray. Press them gently with your hand and garnish with pumpkin seeds
- Bake them at 160 C for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow them to cool them on the baking tray and store in an airtight container.