I was going to a friends’ get together and they wanted me to bake something healthy and special. Coconut cookies were the first thing I could think of as these are the new family favourite too.
Also, they can be baked in a jiffy with the minimum ingredients. Desiccated coconut gives them an amazing flavour and crunch. I love the flavour of desiccated coconut. It’s very easy to use and can be stored in the refrigerator for a long time. You can use it to make your cookies flavourful anytime. Replace desiccated coconut with fresh coconut if that’s easily available.
As always I have used whole wheat flour and clarified butter or ghee. You can use butter or coconut oil if you don’t prefer ghee.
Haven’t added any leavening agent. The cookies were amazingly crisp and soft. Everyone found them delicious.
I have made 20 cookies. You can easily double the recipe if you are making a bigger batch.
Whole wheat coconut cookies.
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1/2 +1/4 cup Desiccated coconut
- 1 cup Khandsari sugar
- 1/2 cup Ghee or clarified butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp Milk(optional) If the dough doesn't come together.
- In a big bowl, cream ghee and sugar until the mixture is fluffy and white. Add vanilla essence and give it a mix.
- Sieve the flour.
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup desiccated coconut with ghee sugar mix.
- If the dough isn't coming together, you can add a tbsp of milk or refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 150 C for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the cookies and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Flatten them with your palm lightly.
- Keep 1/4 cup desiccated coconut in a bowl and roll the cookies in the coconut.
- Bake the cookies at 150 C for 15 -18 minutes or until the edges are brown.
- Cool them on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
- They will remain good for a week to ten days.