Garlic Bread is one of the tastiest and easiest yeasted bread. The addition of garlic and butter gives it a nice aroma and taste. Kids love it. Usually, garlic bread is made with refined flour. That makes it not so good for health. What if we bake it at home that too with whole wheat flour?
The day was gloomy. Just to brighten it up we planned to bake garlic bread. My daughter is in the middle of her exams and she is getting a lot of preparatory holidays. The idea of garlic bread was enough to excite her. Children…. how easy it is to make them happy. Can’t we learn this from them?
Anyways, the bread was baked with a lot of spices and served with a mixed vegetable soup. If you are new to bread baking, flatbreads are a good way to befriend moody yeast and ever lazy whole wheat flour. Try this recipe to tone up your bread baking skills.
Spicy Garlic Bread
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp Active dry yeast
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Warm water
- 7-8 pods Garlic
- 4-5 tbsp Butter more if you like buttery bread.
- 3-4 tbsp Mozzarella cheese
- Spices Black pepper, chilli flakes and mixed Italian spices.
- 1 -2 tbsp Any neutral oil
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander
- Activate the yeast by adding it to 1/4 th cup warm water and sugar. This will take about 10 minutes.
- In a big bowl, add flour, salt, black pepper and bubbled yeast mixture. Mix it with a spoon.
- Make the dough by adding warm water gradually.
- Add oil and transfer the dough on the counter.
- Knead it using your hands for 10-12 minutes. Kneading helps to make the bread light and airy, so don't skip this step.
- Allow the dough to rest in an oiled bowl for the first rise. Cover the bowl with cling wrap or a kitchen towel.
- The day was overcast so the dough took more than an hour to double.
- Crush the garlic pods and melt the butter. Add the crushed garlic, chopped coriander and spices to the melted butter.
- Punch the dough and divide into 4 parts.
- Roll each dough ball into a thick chapati about 1/4 inch thick and apply the garlic butter all over.
- Spread grated mozzarella cheese on half the chapati. Now cover it with the other half.
- Seal the open ends with the help of water and press them together with the help of a fork. This will prevent the melted cheese from coming out during the baking.
- Brush the bread with butter and sprinkle the spices. With the help of a sharp knife cut the upper layer of the bread. Don't give deep cuts.
- Keep it on a parchment paper-lined baking tray for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 190 C for 10 minutes.
- Bake the bread for 20-25 minutes.
- Take the bread out and apply some more butter.
- Serve hot with sauce or hot soup.