The main advantage of baking your own bread is that you can add the ingredients of your choice. You can bake a 100 % whole wheat bread or on some days, you can indulge yourself with a combination bread.
I have made this bread with a combination of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. Although the whole wheat flour was on the higher side still the bread had an amazing texture and my girl demanded another loaf the very next day.
- 200 g Whole Wheat Flour
- 100 g All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar or Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Milk Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Active Yeast
- 240-260 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Ghee or melted butter
- 1 tbsp Milk for Milk Wash
- 1 tsp Sunflower, Sesame and Pumpkin
- Take 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and dissolve sugar or jaggery to it. Mix yeast and keep it aside for 10 minutes to bubble. This step is to check if the yeast is alive or not. If the yeast doesn't bubble, it means your yeast is not working and you have to change it.
- In a big bowl, mix all the ingredients except ghee and add the bubbled yeast water.
- Keep it covered for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, start kneading it gently adding ghee. You can transfer it to the kitchen counter and keep kneading till the dough is soft and pliable. This will take around 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rest in an oiled bowl. Cover it with a wet towel or cling film. The first rise usually takes 60 to 80 minutes depending on the temperature.
- Gently deflate the dough and spread it on the counter with the rolling pin or hands. Make a tight log by folding from the shorter side.
- Grease a loaf tin 7X3.5X3.5 inches and keep the log with seams facing down.
- Now rest it for a second rise for about 40 minutes. Cover the loaf tin with a wet towel or a shower cap.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C for 10 minutes.
- Give the loaf a milk wash before putting it in the oven. Sprinkle the seeds. Bake for 20 minutes at 200 C and then reduce the temperature to 190 C. Bake it for another 15-20 minutes. Cover the bread with aluminium foil after half time if its getting brown.
- Cool it on a wire rack after baking. To store, wrap it in cling film.