Of late, I have been using sorghum flour in baking. The more I use it, the more I fall in love with it. As the bakes taste better than the ones with just wheat flour.
Jowar or Sorghum is an ancient grain from the millet family. Jowar flour is used to make bhakri, dosa, cheela etc. It is rich in fibre, proteins, minerals, vitamins and micronutrients. Regular intake helps to improve the digestion. It’s good for strengthening the bones and heart.
This bread is made with a combination of whole wheat, sorghum and all-purpose flour. The result was amazing. To increase the health quotient, I have seasoned the bread with sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. My girl has become so fond of these loaves of bread that she keeps waiting for the bread to cool down so that she can cut to make a sandwich for her evening snack.
Sorghum Whole Wheat Bread
- 175 g Whole Wheat Flour
- 80 g Sorghum Flour
- 60 g All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Dry Active Yeast
- 2 tbsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Milk Powder
- 250 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Milk.
- 2 tsp Sesame and Pumpkin Seeds
- Take Sorghum and wheat flour in a big bowl.
- Add 200 ml of water to the bowl and mix with the help of a spatula. Keep it to aside for 30 minutes. This method is called the autolyse.
- In a small bowl, take 50 ml of lukewarm water and mix jaggery or honey to it. Add yeast to it. and keep aside for 10 minutes to bubble.
- After half an hour, add the all-purpose flour, milk powder, salt and jaggery to the flour mix.
- Mix bubbled yeast water and make a dough.
- Add oil and transfer the dough to the kitchen counter. Start kneading. This step is very important. The kneading should be done gently for 10 -12 minutes.
- After kneading, the dough should bounce back when poked. Keep it in a well-oiled bowl to rest for one hour or till it doubles in size. Sometimes this will take a longer time which depends on the temperature of the surroundings. Cover it with a wet cloth.
- Punch the dough and shape the bread loaf.
- Spread it on the counter in the shape of a rectangle and form a tight log.
- Place it gently in a greased loaf tin of dimensions 7x 3.5x 3.5 inches for 40 minutes or till it touches the rim of the loaf tin.
- In the meanwhile, Preheat the oven at 190 C for 10 mins.
- Brush the bread gently with milk. Bake it for 45 minutes at 190 C
- Cool it on a wire rack and cut once it cools down.