I have yet to meet a person who doesn’t like brownies.Everyone just loves them. Still people avoid them as brownies are packed with butter,sugar and refined flour. What if a brownie doesn’t have any of these? Will you still say no to a brownie?
We, mothers have this sneaky habit of hiding vegetables in everything. This brownie hides zucchini and no one will know. It doesn’t have any butter or oil. Does it sound tempting enough? So here is a recipe that has wheat flour and Zucchini and no fat and still its super tasty.
I have used a 240 ml cup for measurements.
- Whole wheat flour :125 g
- Grated zucchini :2 cups, around 280g
- Cocoa powder: 40 g
- Powdered brown sugar: 1. 25 cup
- Curd: 1/4 cup
- Baking powder: 1 tsp
- Baking soda: 3/4 tsp
- Choco chips: 1.5 cups Added one cup in the batter and the rest to sprinkle on the top.
- White chocolate chips: 1/2 cup
- Grate the Zucchini without peeling and leave it on a collander while you do other preparations. No need to squeeze.
- In a big bowl, mix the dry ingredients i.e flour, cocoa powder,baking powder and baking soda and sift it 4 times to make it airy. This step is very important while one is working with whole wheat flour.
In another big bowl,mix eggs,curd,sugar and vanilla essence. Use a hand whisk.Leave it for sometime so that the sugar dissolves in the liquid.
Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients gently. The mixture appears to be dry at this moment and you will be tempted to add milk. Don’t add milk. Once you add zucchini,it brings in a lot of water.
Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
Preheat the oven at 165 C.
Grease an 8 by 8 pan with butter or line it with parchment paper.
Pour the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle both type of chocolate chips.
Bake at 165 C for 30 minutes.
The brownie will leave the sides of the pan once done. The toothpick inserted in the centre should come out clean.
Cut after two hours and store in refrigarator as the brownie is gooey and moist.
All the ingredients should be on room temperature.
Zucchini has a lot of water.Excess water must be drained by keeping it on a collander for 10 -15 minutes.
These brownies are mildly sweet. Adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste.
Baking time may vary depending on your oven temperature settings.